Wednesday 1 February 2012

Bread

I love the smell of fresh bread! It reminds me of spending time in my uncle's bakery as a child when I was allowed to choose from the different types of bread, rolls and cakes made that morning. He had decided to become a baker during the war when he saw people going hungry and he wanted to change that. What an admirable reason to choose a profession!

I have started baking bread for us and absolutely love it! Kneeding the dough is almost therapeutic and it is so satisfying to have a loaf of bread or a batch of rolls at the end of it. Yes, it can be time consuming but then I suppose lots of things worth doing are. Should you find yourself with a bit of spare time, I can highly recommend giving it a try. What I found immensely helpful was the book "Bread" by Daniel Stevens, River Cottage Handbook No. 3 - it explains every step very well and so far, the results have been brilliant...even if I say so myself :-)! I am in no way as talented a baker as my uncle was - far from it - but with the help of the instructions from the book, I have been able to make bread such as the batch of white spelt & oat rolls and white spelt bread I baked today. How satisfying!




No comments:

Post a Comment