Tuesday 12 March 2013

Of flat breads and not so flat running...

Oops - I'm a bit late today!  After walking the dog for a long time this morning, I put on my running shoes and actually went for a run.  It was freezing cold down by the sea with the icy wind bashing around my ears.  And on the way back I had to run up two long and steep hills, just to finish me off. I loved it! :-). I used to run quite regularly (never fast or particularly well) and enjoy it, so I'll try and get into that habit again, now the winter is over (haha - so much for it being over - the temperatures are around freezing and we are still getting the odd snowflake).

Anyway, on to today's recipe!

I love eating wraps - add a delicious filling and make a great lunch or turn into a Mexican meal for dinner...simply yummy!  I usually buy a packet of wraps from the supermarket - the cheapest ones cost around £1.20 for a packet of 8 wraps.  But I wanted to make my own.  My River Cottage Bread Handbook has a recipe for tortillas and I thought I'd give it a go.  OMG - it is so easy!!!!  I actually feel embarrassed to think that I have been buying the packaged stuff for so long when making these little beauties is just so easy.  And not only that - making your own is far cheaper, contains no preservatives or additives and is super-tasty as well.  And no plastic rubbish either!  Just think:  a 1kg bag of organic white flour costs roughly £1.30 here and would be enough to make 32 (!!!) tortilla breads.  All you need is to add some water and salt.  So, for almost the same amount of money you can make four times as many wraps!  I was really shocked when I realised this.  And it doesn't take long at all either.  I'm not saying I'll never buy the supermarket ones again (after all, life sometimes gets in the way & then we need convenience) but I think I will definitely try and make these from scratch as often as I can.  I hope you'll give these a go - they are fabulous!


Tortilla bread (makes 8)

Ingredients:
250g plain flour
5g salt
150ml water

Method:

  1. Mix the ingredients to a dough and rest for half an our to allow the gluten to relax.
  2. Divide the dough into 8 pieces and roll into balls
  3. Using a rolling pin, roll each ball out into a flatbread (approx. 2mm thickness).
  4. Put a frying pan on the hob and once hot, place the tortilla into it for 30 seconds before turning and cooking another 30 seconds.  Repeat this once more.
  5. Put the tortilla into a clean kitchen towel to keep warm and cook the rest.

(Recipe adapted from: River Cottage Handbook Bread)

8 comments:

  1. If I wanted to make some of these for my girls to use in their lunchboxes, would I need to make fresh each day or do they keep OK for a couple of days?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Morgan! I wrapped a couple in foil and had them the next day - they were just as nice as freshly made. Or you could freeze them for later. I hope this helps! Kirsten x

      Delete
  2. I keep a packet of shop bought tortillas in the freezer for packed lunches and as I opened the packet today I did think I really ought to be able to make these... Think I'd better make up a stack for the freezer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The same thing happened to me - I looked at the packet and thought "how hard can it be?" And then I found the recipe in my Bread book. I hope you will like these! Kirsten x

      Delete
  3. I really must give these a try. They sound a bit like the chapattis I used to make when I was married before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love these! They are quite like chapattis or the rotis I posted about recently (although the flour/water content is different, so these flour tortillas don't puff up like the rotis). I hope you'll like this recipe! Kirsten x

      Delete
  4. I've made these in the past but not for a while. Have a recipe for quinoa tortillas that I'm going to try - will post on the results!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh,I'd be very interested in seeing how the quinoa ones turn out! Kirsten x

      Delete